Featured post

Some of Nhongo Safaris Fleet of Open Safari Vehicles

The photo shows some of our fleet of Open Safari Vehicles used while on safari in the Kruger National and Hwange National Parks. These ve...

Thursday 8 April 2010

Kruger National Park Safari with the Dag Party and Jan and Lauren Burford 26th – 30th March 2010

Day 1


Guests were picked up from the "City Lodge Airport" for there transfer to the Kruger National Park. For some in the party, this was not the first visit to Africa and so the expectation was quite high as to what would be seen  while on safari in the Kruger Park aboard our open safari vehicles. After the change over from our air-conditioned microbus, it was off to the camp of Pretoriuskop for check in, and a chance for some lunch and a rest, before departing at 15h00 on an afternoon game drive to see what was out there.  At 15h00 I picked up my new “Lion Hunters” and drove down the Napi road. Not much happening in the beginning of the trip but as it progressed, so did the animal sightings. At the entrance to Napi Boulders, 2 White Rhino (male and female) crossed the road, sent marking the territory. On our drive back to camp we had two large Elephant bulls on the side of the road. Further to this we also saw 2 huge “Dagga boy’s” (Cape buffalo). My guests were happy and could’nt believe you could see so much on your first afternoon drive. They weren’t as fortunate as the previous people, and only had 5 days in the Kruger Park. At supper they wanted to know if this was enough time to see the “Big 5”. My answer to this is “How long is a piece of string?”. It’s difficult to answer as I might see the “Big 5” in one game drive or I might not for an entire week. With this in mind, I bid my guests a good night.


Day 2

06h00 Time for tea and coffee before leaving the camp on the mornings game drive. My guests hadn’t seen Lions or Leopard’s and obviously where very anxious to see them in “Wild Africa”. Knowing that the mating Lions were around, we drove towards Manungu Koppies as I was sure I’d pick them up. I was totally wrong. I didn’t get the mating Lions but 3 Lioness’s lying together on the gravel road approximately 1.6Kms from the koppies itself. With photos taken, we proceeded to Skakuza for breakfast. Approximately 700m north of the S114, a colleague called in a sighting of Leopard. Apparently mobile, so we didn’t have a lot of time to get to it if we were going to go. I turned the open safari vehicle around and headed in the direction of the Leopard sighting, staying in touch with Jan all the way. It’s as though the Leopard waited till we got to the area before turning and walking straight across the road in from of us. As it moved off the road, it continued with its sent marking, not bothered by our vehicle at all. As we drove forward, so the Leopard walked parallel with the car – You can imagine the photos taken. This mighty cat walked right between a herd of Impala, with no care in the world, and then as fast as it appeared so it disappeared. At that stage I couldn’t make out if it was a Lion roar or my stomach. With hunger pains we drove into Skakuza for breakfast. Must have been hunger pains because all I could think of was a farmer’s breakfast. After breakfast, I traveled along the most western board of the Kruger Park (River road), hoping to see a herd of African elephant or Cape buffalo close to the water. Nothing spectacular was found. My guests requested that instead of an afternoon drive, we spend a couple of hours at the Shitlhave dam. Although not much was seen, while sitting there, it was lovely just to be able to sit and watch nature as the sun set over the savannah plains.

Day 3

06h00 Time for tea and coffee prior to leaving the camp.We set out for another day in the bush. Heading eastwards we drove down Voortrekker road, hoping to see some unusual sights. The words were scarcely out of my mouth when to the right of us we spotted a large Sable bull. Majestic in his approach to the road/us, but as the wind turned and he picked up our scent, he was off with a “Dash of speed”. No sight of any Lichtenstein’s hartebeest, on route to Afsaal picnic spot. At the first historical sight, we drove straight up to 6 White Rhino grazing right next to the road. Close up photos could be taken and lots of questions could be answered as we enjoyed the scenery around us. We drove past Afsaal, to check if any black Rhino where on the Gabro plains, however nothing today. Just then we heard that approximately 7.2Kms from us were the 3 nomadic male Lions. We drove on and as we got to them, so they got up and walked towards us. I turned the engine off and all we could hear was the clickity click of cameras as these massive beasts walked past us. Seemed like an everyday occurrence, that we would pick up Lions before breakfast – I kept reminding the guests that this was not a Zoo. After a late breakfast our general game viewing was excellent and many hours where spent enjoying the basic features of nature. Midday I had my guests back at camp for them to spend some time around the swimming pool. While they were enjoying themselves, I met more clients (2 day safari) that had just arrived and gave them a briefing. I could see, cloud build up around the camp. We left camp at 15h00 sharp. No sooner had I left, I got a call from one of my colleagues that he had spotted Lions on Napi boulders. Approximately 20m of the road both males where lying sleeping. We headed on down the Napi road to a small waterhole called Deleporte. As we got closer, I could see a couple of cars on the bridge and approached slowly. I decided to turn the open safari vehicle around, and as we did that so a female leopard approached us on our left. Guest’s cameras going, she paid no attention to us and politely ran across the road into the tall yellow thatch grass. My new clients from the USA thought this was better than “President Obahma”.  Slow drive back to camp, explaining the African bush and answering questions. On our return to the camp everyone was happy, that a successful day was had by all.

Day 4

06h00 Tea and coffee and an explanation of the days line up. With this done, we headed out for a round trip north. My plan was to show my clients more of the Kruger Park and not just riding from animal sighting to animal sighting. A late breakfast at Tshokwane picnic spot was planned and most of the day was spent, stopping for unusual sightings. Rhino, Elephant, Buffelo, Lion and Lepoard sightings where achieved on the day and before we new it, we started heading back to camp. All the clients on my open safari vehicle, was booked for the Sunset drive and as all of you know, I don’t like to get back to camp only to put my guests onto another vehicle for a further 4 hours. At supper, I said my goodbyes to some of my clients that were leaving really early the next morning in order to get there flight from Nelspruit Vilencoulos and wouldn’t join us on the following mornings game drive. Sadly my trip was also approaching an end and the drive in the morning would be my last for a couple of days.

Day 5

05h30 Tea and coffee ready, @ 06h00 Tea and coffee still ready, and again @ 06h30 Tea and coffee still ready,
“Oops” my guests overslept, who said been on safari is easy. Early morning rising, takes its toll on some that aren’t use to it. Most of our early morning safari was spent taking pictures of interesting things and very little on the animals themselves as guests had seen so much in the last couple of days. We returned back to camp, for a warm breakfast and after packing up departed for Nelspruit where the guests would be transferred by Dean back to JHB International airport in order for them to catch there flight on to Cape Town.

With my job done to the best of my ability and trusting all clients where overjoyed it was time to say:


Till next time “Good Night, GOD Bless, Good bye”.

The feedback from the guests about the safari to the Kruger National Park was that they had a wonderful time, none of them ever thought to see so much especially the leopards thay all seemed to be in the right place at the right time for them. All have said that they will be returning to us to come on another safari, with a large number committing to doing a nine day safari starting in the north of the park and ending in the south 9 days later.

The photos shown in this post were taken by Jan Burford while on safari with Nhongo Safaris to the Kruger National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment